On my walk back from Cafe Yumm yesterday, I had the grand realization that it was the best thing to happen to my lunch hour in quite some time.
That’s an ambitious statement, and it’s taken a few visits to get into the swing of things, so insert the following qualifying factors:
- Easily transportable – particularly, the self-contained bowls
- Super duper quick, for there or to go – VEGAN FAST FOOD.
- Specifically handy when the farmers markets are closed in the colder months
- Location: it’s in walking distance to my office and alongside PSU
- Right on the MAX Green Line
- Rather nutritious offerings
- There’s sometimes extra avocado offered for vegans – Yay! (often the same at The Whole Bowl – Is it standard? Random? Often forgotten? I don’t know).
Three silly things I don’t like:
- The diced tomatoes are consistently bland and blah.
- Chewy tofu: stick to the tempeh! I don’t think I’ve ever specifically avoided tofu somewhere before.
- All the college students: totally silly, selfish annoyance. I left Boston for a reason.
Tempeh Skewer Bento with Ginger Asian Slaw, Jasmine Rice and Yumm Sauce (and Tapatio, of course)
I’m also become a fan of the Yumm! N Greens, Jazzy Bowl and Edamame Bowl.
After lunch, I stopped by the Central Library to pick up my hold (full disclosure: I’m giving the first season of Fringe another shot) and browse the cookbook section. I was there for French cuisine, but the vegetarian/vegan section never fails to catch my interest:
The full section:
Not sure if you want to buy a book? Check it out! Check. It. Out.
And if you want more vegan food by PSU, check out Homegrown Smoker Vegan BBQ!!!